By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Whiskey theft turns sour
Second suspect sought after burglary, chase on Ga. 400
Placeholder Image
Authorities have made one arrest and recovered 36 bottles of Canadian whiskey in connection with an early morning liquor store burglary and chase on Memorial Day.
Capt. Paul Taylor of the Forsyth County Sheriff's Office said another suspect, whose name has not been released, remains at large.
Edsel Whitaker, 54, of Austell is being held at the Forsyth County Detention Center on $11,110 bond, Taylor said.
Whitaker was arrested after deputies spotted him walking along Hubbard Town Road in north Forsyth shortly after the burglary and pursuit on Ga. 400.
Whitaker is one of two suspects authorities think broke into the World Beverage liquor store at 6190 Ga. 400 just after 1 a.m. Monday. The store is less than a mile north of Hubbard Town Road.
The men reportedly took six cases containing six 1.75 liter, or "handle," bottles each of Crown Royal, which had been on display at the store's entrance. Taylor said they used a large piece of concrete to smash through the glass doors.
Investigators say the suspects left the store in a 1995 Mitsubishi Mirage. They headed north on Ga. 400 before ending up at the Arbor Ridge subdivision on Hubbard Town Road.
Sheriff's Investigator Paige Turpin said that's where the suspects appear to have split up.
"At that point the passenger decided he didn't want to ride anymore so he [got out]," she said.
Turpin, who recognized Whitaker from video taken at the liquor store, had just finished processing the car and was leaving the neighborhood when she saw the suspect walking along the road.
Taylor said the chase began after the suspects "made an improper turn" on Ga. 400, which alerted Sheriff's Sgt. Phil Alexander, who was in a patrol car in the median on Ga. 400.
Alexander followed the suspects as they traveled south in the northbound lane for less than a 10th of a mile, before turning right onto Hubbard Town Road and then into the subdivision, Taylor said.
Turpin explained that after Whitaker got out, the driver turned around as if he were going back to Ga. 400. When he saw that deputies were closing in, however, he turned back and "tried to go off road," nearly ending up in a creek.
"He was finished driving at that time and jumped out and ran," she said.