By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
United Way of Forsyth County offering free tax preparation
Available for seniors, low/moderate-income families

United Way of Forsyth County and the AARP Foundation Tax Aide Program are teaming up again this year during the upcoming tax season to provide free income tax preparation to low- and moderate-income families and seniors in Forsyth, Dawson and surrounding counties.

Families earning $54,000 or less with no age requirements and individuals 60 years and older are eligible for the free services, according to Melissa Corliss, director of community impact for the local United Way chapter.

“AARP Foundation Tax-Aide volunteers are trained in filing certain tax forms and schedules, including Form 1040,” Corliss said.

The service will be available in Forsyth County from February 1 through April 15, with sites at United Way of Forsyth County, located at 240 Elm Street, on Thursdays and every other Saturday by appointment only.

A walk-in site at Central Park, located at 2300 Keith Bridge Road, will be open on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Tax preparation services are available for Georgia returns only.

Individuals will need to bring:

• A valid, official photo ID (both you and your spouse, if filing jointly)

• One of the following for you, your spouse and any other persons listed on your return: Social Security number card or letter; adoption taxpayer identification number card or letter; individual taxpayer number card or letter

• The previous year’s tax return

• All W-2s and/or 1099s for the current tax year

• A voided check to direct deposit your refund (optional, but gets you your refund faster)

Joint returns require both filers to be present to sign the return

If applicable, you should bring:

• Form 1098-mortage interest, property taxes, closing statement

• Form 1099-DIV, G, INT, Q, R, RRB, SSA for current tax year

• The name, address and tax ID or SSN/ITIN of the care provider you employed if you had child care or dependent care expenses

• Form 1098-T or 1098-E for educational expenses

• Unemployment compensation statement

• Form 1095-A (Affordable Care Act)

• All receipts or canceled checks if itemizing deductions

To schedule an appointment or for more information, contact United Way at (770) 781-4110 or